OK, but do you think the overload feature is less
reliable implemented than  the actual read-out of a peak value?
Did the manufacturer do a lousy job ?
We use an instrument to rely on its features, so do we on
the overload feature.
It often does the job better than its operating engineer.

My R&S receiver has a two stage warning system: if
the readout approaches the end of the linear region (and above) it
gives an over-range message, making clear that improved accuracy and
reliability can be obtained  by adjusting the attenuator.
(same for under-range)
If you grossly exaggerate the input signal, a overload warning
is also given.

Maybe the differences between spectrum analyzers and
measuring receivers have to be found in this area
instead in functional (cispr16) specs, where tend to similar.

Regards,

Ing. Gert Gremmen

ce-test, qualified testing bv