From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Derek
Walton
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:45 AM
To: Larry Stillings
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: DIY Equipment and Calibration

HI Larry,

was this really required, in 17025, or is your assessor/accrediting body

asking?

If you are following a standard calibration method, I'm not sure you are

REQUIRED for have a procedure.

That said,I believe strongly in writing detailed work instructions (
what we call them), photographs really really help.

Thoughts?

Derek.

Larry Stillings wrote:
> One other thing to add to this thread (as we just went through an
audit) is
> you will need to write a test procedure for the calibration
(preferably with
> pictures of the calibration setup).
>
> Larry Stillings

cc

Subject
>              12/11/2008 08:04          RE: DIY Equipment and
Calibration
>              AM

> Chris,
>
> I've built several CDN's.  Repaired both CDN's and LISN's.   Never
messed
> with building an EM clamp.   Too much hassle IMO.
>
> As far as calibration,  I try to calibrate as much as is practical "in
> house".    All the LISN's, ISN's, CDN's, cable loss, amplifier
performance,
> etc etc .  But in reality those "calibrations" are just
"verifications".
> To perform those verifications most people are lacking a network
impedance
> analyzer.  The test jigs or setups are easy to build or cheap to
purchase.

> Regarding an accrediting organization accepting the results,  you'll
need a
> process.  You can't go wrong by referencing CISPR 16 et. al.  in that
> respect.   You'll need the verification data. AND, you'll need the
> measurement uncertainty.
> The last item, you can gather from your impedance analyzer accuracy
> specifications (and calibration report) and the test jig VSWR &
losses.

> As for where you can send you in-house built test items,  most any
ISO17025
> test lab which calibrates EMC or similar devices can perform the
> calibration.
>

> Regards
>
> David Spencer
> EMC Engineer
> Xerox Corp.

US I
>       can send such homemade equipment for calibration (preferably
Western

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html