In message <2008121515197.344647@Alan-PC>, dated Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Alan
E Hutley <a...@nutwooduk.co.uk> writes:

>Without the furore of this activity, EMC would almost certainly not
>have been on the RADAR to the extent that it has been.

Agreed; the 1989 Directive widened greatly the range of products subject
to emission and immunity control. Before then, only a few people knew,
or needed to know, about EMC, in countries other than Germany and
Austria. They were different because of the restrictions placed on their
AM broadcasting post-1945, which prompted a drive to lower the EM noise
floor.

>Could this be the reason why formal qualifications and academic
>training has not evolved at the same pace or magnitude?

Probably not a major factor. Academics have to pursue funding, because
that's how the system is set up. But it appears that few did pursue
funding for EMC, and I suspect that is because it's a bit too much
'engineering' rather than 'science', which is not attractive to many
academics. One could say, 'EMC? It's Maxwell's Equations. The rest is
just arithmetic!'.

A lot of the science of EMC has been pursued in Germany, Switzerland and
Poland, not in the countries around the North Sea.

> Is the apparent lack of resources committed to Training and Education
>due to the relevant organisations and Governments lack of understanding
>with respect to the complexity surrounding EMC... or are there other
>reasons.

Governments understand very little about training needs. They tend to be
led by the nose by a certain type of 'educationalist', who have an
approach which I think many engineers would find incomprehensible and
not well-directed.
All these closing-downs have been caused by dozing clowns

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>