From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Woodgate
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:46 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [PSES] Toyota -- Comment on Software and Electronics for Safety

In message
<4c5e6457cd7911469a07260381288c2860f54...@orsmsx502.amr.corp.intel.com>,
dated Mon, 1 Mar 2010, "Pettit, Ghery" <ghery.pet...@intel.com> writes:

> In the Paris incident the pilots tried to exceed the performance
>envelope to clear the trees and the computer wouldn't let them.  I've
>seen video of the crash.  Not good.

So the computer crashed the plane from level flight to prevent it
stalling and crashing. But the performance envelope limits surely have a
'safety factor' built in, so the plane might not have stalled if the
pilots tried to gain JUST enough height, not pulled the stick back
regardless.

I think a re-think is indicated. Didn't WW2 US naval craft have an
engine telegraph position 'Flank speed', aka 'GTHOH', which 'pushed the
envelope' quite hard?
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>