Ed. Your last para opens speculation that the end result might have been
intentional.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:08 PM, "Price, Edward" <ed.pr...@cubic.com> wrote:

        I’m a little uncomfortable with the tone of Keith’s article at:

        <http://www.nutwooduk.co.uk/downloads/Toyota.doc>
http://www.nutwooduk.co.uk/downloads/Toyota.doc

        True, he’s expounding on life-and-death reliability, but I get a
feeling that he is getting a bit alarmist. I also find it interesting that the
USA NHTSB is seeking out a UK engineer, and that they have a “non-disclosure”
agreement covering their interactions. That’s not the kind of government that I
want to pay for! Nonetheless, his article is worth reading just to remind us
how difficult it is to achieve the electronic reliability that we have come to
expect of mechanical systems.

        I can’t comment on Toyotas in general (my last Toyota was a 1983 Celica
that I owned from 1983 to 2008, so it was mostly mechanical), and my ride is
now a German car. However, I have been following the Mark Saylor incident
rather closely, since it happened on a stretch of road that I drive quite often.

        The Saylor vehicle was Northbound on CA 125, a typical multi-lane
restricted access California freeway, unusual only in that its traffic density
is usually much lighter than other freeways. The incident began with the Saylor
vehicle at a road altitude of about 800 feet. As the emergency call was being
placed, the vehicle began descending into a broad valley. In slightly less than
2 miles, the vehicle descended 500 feet; about a 5% grade. This steep descent
would have considerably aided the acceleration of runaway engine.

        Just before the crash site, Mr. Saylor was presented with a lane
choice; the two right lanes sweep upward and go left over the two left lanes,
actually continuing the freeway onto CA 52 West. Inexplicably, the driver chose
the straight path (festooned with huge “freeway ends” signs and lighted
warnings), essentially a short exit ramp to a busy “T” intersection.

        Had the driver chosen the continuation of the freeway, he would have
had several miles of uphill travel, with mostly flat, open shoulders. He could
have even laid the vehicle up against the long curving right guardrail,
grinding his vehicle to a halt. However, by choosing the exit ramp, the driver
made the worst possible choice; no time, entry into a busy & blind
intersection, and then entry into a partial construction zone / wooded marsh.
The impact into this area caused a fatal vehicle fire.

        Locals find the experienced CHP officer’s lane choice impossible to
understand or explain; in the case of a runaway vehicle, it almost guaranteed a
quick and violent result.

        Ed Price

        ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN

        NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

        Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

        Cubic Defense Applications

        San Diego, CA  USA

        858-505-2780

        Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty