How would you classify Litz wire?

Fred Townsend wrote:

        Is this right?

        Not necessarily. Braid may or may not be hollow. Look at the braid
frequently
used for the battery ground lead on automobiles. Braid is frequently used for
bonding large metals parts such as engine to body on your car.

        The ribbon referenced here is a single conductor. Sometimes I make them
from
sheets of copper or brass. They are not normally used where the environment
contains motion or vibration.  However they are ideal for making a mobius loop
to non inductively feed the cathode of a high power transmitting tube.

        The term ribbon is not distinct and may include braided ribbons.

        m...@sfo.com wrote:

                It is my understanding that the following terms apply. If not,
please
                elaborate/correct.

                Braid - bare small gauge wires woven into a general hollow tube
shape,
                intended to be used as shielding

                Ribbon - flat shape, multiple conductors insulated from each
other, solid
                or [7? wires bare fibre wires?] to make each conductor.

                Solid Ribbon - flat shape, multiple conductors insulated from
each other,
                solid wire conductors.

                Is this right?

                Robert

                        Brian:

                        I include braid in the category of ribbon without
distinction. However
                        braid is superior to solid ribbon for most applications
because it is
                        easier to work with. i.e. when connecting braid to a
screw terminal I
                        spread the braid out and slip the screw between (with
flat or star
                        washer) strands. It also has lower skin effect at RF
frequencies. Solid
                        ribbon must be crimped, drilled, or punched for screw
terminals.  The
                        exception is solid ribbon is superior when using mobius
loops.

                        Silver braid is superior for RF but needs to be
protected from corrosion
                        to stay effective.  I use ordinary tined braid for
pulse generators.

                        Regards,

                        Fred Townsend

                        Brian O'Connell wrote:

                                For this particular application, how does the
ribbon stuff compares to
                                braided ground straps?

                                I am about to build something similar, and
would like to know if someone
                                has already experimented with this.

                                thanks,
                                Brian