You can get SCRs up to 7KV withstand, or you can stack them to get the
voltage rating if you do it right.  The critical parameters are maximum
rate of current rise and peak current capability.  In general, you'd want
an SCR rated for inverter duty as these are much faster than the ordinary
phase control variety.  Still, you will be working in microseconds, not
nanoseconds.  Spark gaps and electromechanical switches are clumsy
devices, but still can't be beat for abrupt risetimes at very large power
levels.  I'm wondering if there is a mercury contactor rated for your
voltage requirement.  Also, perhaps instead of simulating a defibrillator
you could use a real one.  I've seen used ones.

Orin Laney

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>