  From:       Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>

  To:         <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>

  Date:       10/30/2009 01:23 PM

  Subject:    Re: Where does 3V/m & 10V/m in RI come from?

  Sent by:    <emc-p...@ieee.org>

The only thing right about that post is the disclaimer, and that is only if
you have an odd sense of humor.  RE limits are set to protect broadcast
radio reception, while RI/RS limits are set to bracket intentional
transmitters.  The margin between receivers and transmitters is between
femto- and picowatt sensitivity and Watt or higher level transmission.  If
you make the apples to rocks comparison of RE to RI/RS limits the “margins”
you come up with are on the order of 80 dB or higher.  Is there another
engineering discipline that enforces that sort of margin?  Can you envision
a bridge or building built with such margins?  Would an airplane ever get
built, much less leave the ground?  And that Ares rocket that just launched
successfully yesterday?  What would lift-off look like with an 80 dB
increase in mass, huh?

Granted the previous post was in jest, but too many people take that sort
of thing at face value.  This is embarrassing to the profession.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261