Dave

You are not required to be compliant with standards – you are required to be
compliant with the protection requirements of the EMC Directive.

Ways of demonstrating compliance are discussed in “The Guide for the EMC
Directive 2004/108/EC (8th February 2010)”, available from
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/electrical/documents/emc/guidance/index_en.htm

Section 3.2 covers the use of Harmonised Standards to obtain a presumption of
conformity, including:

Generally the three main aspects to be covered are:
– high frequency emission (related to radio protection);
– low frequency emission on the mains supply (harmonics, voltage fluctuations);

– Immunity to permanent and transient EMC phenomena.

In reality most companies choose to test products to Harmonised Standards,
using test equipment made by companies who sit on standards committees
alongside test labs who perform the testing – but it’s not compulsory ☺

Regards

Charlie