As usual, Mr Nute finds the good stuff.

The root problem may be in the historical process - back when FM and UL were
explicitly stated in OSHA code. This is no longer the case, but continues
when the phrase "UL approval" is used to indicate 'NRTL' approval.

My employer has problems with this, but perhaps not at the same critical
level as larger companies. As most of my employer's products are not catalog
items (custom), we educate the customer about the NRTL system. We send
people to some customers' end-users to gently explain that forcing products
to bear the UL mark can be considered a trade restraint or illegal
elimination of competition for most government projects. But the customer is
always right, so if they insist, we submit to UL.

As for test process, I see no significant difference among the four NRTL
labs, including UL, that I use. Some test or construction data may be
presented differently, but their reports all contain the same wondrous
information.

For critical components, UL response has been that they cannot, as a matter
of internal policy, accept the factory audits for other NRTLs, so some
components that do not bear the UL mark shall be subject to special factory
audits.

The bottom line is the bottom line - prove that if affects cost without
affecting safety or reliability and it becomes a done deal.

But when I defeat Palpatine and the sith lords and become emperor and
control Google, this will all change...

Brian