As other have mentioned there is another route you can go other than NRTL
listing in that you can have a field evaluation of a product but that is only
really financially feasible for high cost low production specialty equipment.
It may work for certain laboratory equipment but again it would have to be
something low volume and it is not inexpensive as I have looked into it before.

Here are some excerpts from the Survey

MARYLAND
Md. COMMERCIAL LAW Code Ann. § 13-308 (2007)
§ 13-308. Electrical consumer products
(a) Symbol of testing laboratory required. -- A person may not sell or
distribute an electrical consumer
product which is intended ultimately for the personal use of a consumer in or
around a permanent or
temporary household or residence, unless the product is clearly labeled,
marked, or stamped with the
symbol of an electrical testing laboratory which is certified by the State Fire
Marshal to test products to
determine that they are safe for use.

MAINE
30-A M.R.S. § 4162 (2006)
All electrical equipment installed or used must be reasonably safe to persons
and property and must comply
with the applicable laws of the State. Conformity of electrical equipment with
applicable standards of
Underwriters' Laboratories, Inc. is prima facie evidence that the equipment is
reasonably safe to persons
and property.

Delaware's law requires that a lab does follow-up inspections which is a
requirement for NRTL status so while it is possible a lab could be accredited
in Delaware without NRTL accreditation it is very unlikely

Delaware

CDR 1-700-705 (2010)
5.1.1 A person may not sell or distribute an electrical consumer product which
is intended ultimately
for the personal use of a consumer in or around a permanent or temporary
household or residence,
unless the product is clearly labeled, marked, or stamped with the symbol of an
electrical testing
laboratory which is certified by the State Fire Marshal to test products to
determine that they are
safe for use.
CDR 1-700-701 (2010)
" Listed " Equipment or materials included in a list published by an
organization acceptable to the
State Fire Marshal and concerned with product evaluation, that maintains
periodic inspection of
production of listed equipment or materials and whose listing states either
that the equipment or
material meets appropriate standards or has been tested and found suitable for
use in a specified
manner.
CDR 1-

GEORGIA
Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. r. 300-5-14-.02 (2007)
All electrical wire, apparatus, and equipment in temporary or permanent use
shall be, where applicable, of a
type approved by and bearing the Underwriters Laboratories label.

Alaska offers the option of NRTL or a bright label saying the product  is not
listed

ALASKA
Alaska Stat. § 45.45.910 (2007)
A person may not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise transfer in the course of
the person's business a consumer
electrical product that is manufactured after August 14, 1990, unless the
product is clearly marked as being
listed by an approved third-party certification program or with a warning
label. The warning label required
by this section must be a brightly colored label that contains in simple,
direct language a warning that the
electrical product is not listed by an approved third-party certification
program. The department shall adopt
regulations establishing the exact content, color, design, and use of the
warning label.

IDAHO
IDAPA 07.01.10.011 (2006)
All materials, devices, fittings, equipment, apparatus, fixtures, and
appliances installed or to be used in
installations that are supplied with electric energy shall be approved as
provided in one (1) of the following:

1)       Testing Laboratory. Be tested, examined, and certified (Listed) by an
accredited electrical product
testing laboratory. The Division of Building Safety, Electrical Bureau, shall
maintain an up-to-date list
of products and equipment approved by such testing laboratories as well as an
updated list of
accredited products which shall be used and installed in accordance with the
certification (Listing).

2) Approval Of Electrical Inspector. Be approved by the Electrical Inspector
provided such an assembly,
product, or equipment is installed under an electrical permit issued by the
Division of Building Safety,
Electrical Bureau, and conforms to the National Electrical Code and recognized
industry standards.
Where in the judgment of the Electrical Bureau a field evaluation is necessary
to determine the
acceptability of the assembly, product, or equipment to recognized industry
standards, this field
evaluation shall be completed by an accredited electrical product testing
laboratory. The Division of
Building Safety, Electrical Bureau, shall maintain a list of accredited
electrical testing laboratories
approved to complete such field evaluations. Such approval shall not be
required for types of products
that are regularly certified (Listed) or for certified (Listed) products as
determined by the list
maintained by the Division of Building Safety, Electrical Bureau. Such approval
shall be obtained
prior to installation. If approval is denied, the particular reasons for denial
shall be stated through
issuance of a notice of defects pursuant to Section 54-1004, Idaho Code.
IDAPA 07.01.10.000 (2006)
The Idaho Electrical Board is authorized under Sections 54-1001 and 54-1006(5),
Idaho Code, to adopt