Jim,

There is not a real correct or best answer to your questions. There are many
options and no matter what direction you go there are pros and cons.

First I would look at the resources your company may already have. Also look at
the skills and talent the people who work with you have and glean from that.

Any over the counter database program you use will require resources for
someone to learn it, set it up, and teach others to use. They can range widely
in cost and in most cases require a license or site license for each user.

Our company has several Microsoft Servers running on our network. Several
departments have their own Intra-net pages where such information, documents,
etc. are kept and shared. The network gods control who has access to what. The
system works pretty well and is simple.

We have a couple engineers in our department, including myself, who know how to
program in ASP (very similar to Visual Basic). ASP and SQL databases are key
features built into Microsoft Server software. So we have developed Intranet
Webpages that display and edit several department specific databases. With this
we keep track of our Compliance status of all our produces, our production
audit schedule, calibration schedules, EMC Lab test schedule, a critical
component parts database, etc.. We also have intranet pages with helpful
information we share with our R&D group and others throughout the company.
Since we maintain this our self we can update it or make changes whenever we
want. It has worked out well for us.

In addition to the server software, you only need a text/html editor (which
most everyone has), and an internet browser. No additional licenses required to
view and edit the databases once it is setup.

Hope this was helpful.

The Other Brian