From: McInturff, Gary [mailto:gary.mcintu...@esterline.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:34 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG<mailto:EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: Re: [PSES] Listing or Classification in the field?

CLASSIFICATION SERVICE - A service whereby UL determines that a manufacturer
has demonstrated the ability to produce a product that complies with UL
requirements for the purpose of classification or evaluation with respect to
one or more of the following: (1) specific risks only, e.g., casualty, fire or
shock, (2) performance under specified conditions, (3) regulatory codes, (4)
other standards, including international standards, or (5) such other
conditions as UL may consider desirable. UL authorizes the manufacturer to use
the Classification Mark on products that comply with UL requirements and
establishes follow-up service as a check of the means the manufacturer
exercises to maintain compliance with UL requirements.

This is from their web site and somewhat supports your contention, although I
don't know if you can say there is not a standard, maybe.

Sheet rock for example is UL classified, as are roofing materials and both of
them have a single performance issue - fire rating. I think that (4) applies to
sheetrock.  The ability to contain a fire for X amount of time. That rating is
used by local authorities in the NEC and building codes around the country.
Between floors of living spaces 3/8 in sheet rock must be used because it has a
flame rating acceptable to the building codes. I suspect that the classified
items were done at the behest or in conjunction with national authorities to
identify basic functional requirements.
Conjecture more than absolute knowledge
Gary