Hi Scott,

The people who sit on CENELEC committees are humans and they are prone to human
errors. They write standards in plain language that is easy to understand. The
problem comes when these standards are adopted into law. Laws that are very
precise are easy to interpret, but are very complicated. Take the Low Voltage
Directive as an example. It tells us that products must be safe, but doesn't
give much more detail. If that were the only regulation in place, we would need
armies of lawyers to argue whether specific products are acceptably safe or
have unreasonable hazards. We are given the option of complying with standards
that give us more detail on one route to compliance. If you have an IT product
that meets EN 60950-1, you have met one legal interpretation of acceptably safe.

In addition, standards are written by committee. The words need to be
acceptable to a specified majority of the committee before the standard can be
adopted. Precise language can be harder to pass sometimes because some
committee members may object to one particular item. The whole committee may
agree on the general intent of the standard but not every specific item. A more
general wording can be easier to pass.

The CENELEC audio requirements have three tests to determine if a product is
within the scope. The product is within the scope if:
− is designed to allow the user to listen to recorded or broadcast sound or
video; and
− primarily uses headphones or earphones that can be worn in or on or around
the ears; and
− allows the user to walk around while in use.

Let's take the example of a portable DVD player. It meets the first clause as
playing recorded video is its primary function. Many meet the second clause
having headphone jacks, and often multiple headphone jacks. The third test is
the one that I would consider to broadly written. A portable DVD player allows
the user to walk around while in use. It is light enough to hold in your hands
and it is battery powered. However, that isn't the intended use nor is it a
likely use. It is difficult to walk any distance while concentrating on the
screen to watch a movie.

Good legal council will be able to help you determine what the intent of the
standard is. This may require figuring out what the intent of the standards
committee was. This may require research into CENELEC OSM decision, committee
notes and such. A lawyer knows how the law is applied and the lawyer can best
determine how to use that application of the law to see if your product is
within the scope of the standard. When a standard is written with broad text,
different courts may interpret it different ways. A lawyer may be better suited
to telling you how a court will interpret the standard. The standard writers
may not have intended to write clauses that require interpretation, but the law
is enforced by courts, not engineers.

IEC 62368-1 addresses this issue by changing the third test of the requirement.
It states that the product is within the scope if it "is body worn (of a size
suitable to be carried in a clothing pocket) and is intended for the user to
walk around with while in use." The size of a clothing pocket is still up to
interpretation, but this clause is a bit more specific than the text written by
CENELEC. It's easier for me to argue that a portable DVD player is too large to
fit into a typical clothing pocket and it certainly can't be used for its
primary function while in a pocket. There is still reason to consult an
attorney for some products, but not as many. In this case, the ambiguity
largely comes down to what is pocket sized. A tablet computer with a 10 inch
screen might not be, and a cell phone with a 4 inch screen likely is within the
scope. But we have devices with 5, 6, 7 and 8 inch screens. Where is the line
where something is too big to fit in a pocket? TC108 was well m!
 eaning in trying to craft the scope, but you still have a standard that may be
adopted into national law in various countries. If so, courts, regulators and
lawyers will be called on to determine what is pocket sized.

Regards,
Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.