From: ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen [mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:23 AM
To: McInturff, Gary; Ken Wyatt
Cc: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [PSES] test setup for table top ungrounded equipment 61000-4-2
IEC:2008 figure 6 page 20

How about the return path of the esd gun ?
Part of the ESD effect is the H-field during discharge in the ground loop.
The highest frequencies discharge to the internal “air”capacitor
(single plate capacitor) in the gun, but eventually a (still high frequency)
current (10Amps or so)
 flows through the ESD gun’s ground cable  to the ground plane of the setup.
A different lay-out of the return cable produces a different loop  and EUT
H-field.
I agree with Douglas that the discharge resistors (if not to parasitic) do not
impact
the impulses at all. (unless they are SMD   ;<)) ).

Gert Gremmen