I never studied the statistics of what you describe, but I recall some numbers
that I had for a large (50’ long x 20’ wide x 12’ high) completely bare (no
anechoic material and not even a test bench) shielded chamber. I had three
“stirrers”; a large 4’ x 8’ flat panel rotating about 6 RPM, a medium stirrer
that had several 24” square sheets tilted at odd angles turning about 30 RPM
and a shaft with IIRC three 8” corner reflectors on a single shaft turning
about 60 RPM. The rotational speed was continuous, not stepped, and the rates
were not synchronized nor precisely controlled. At 100 MHz, shifts in the
reverberant pattern were noticeable, but not enough change was seen to make a
big impression. At 1 GHz, I could see greater than 20 dB of field variation,
but I needed to wait about 3 minutes before I felt enough time had elapsed to
allow for all combinations to have happened. I used the chamber from 1 GHz and
up, with dwell times of 3 minutes at each frequency. Over the course of that
three minute exposure, there were many dips and rises, but only a few
combinations actually hit the peak exposure level. For monitoring, I used a
spectrum analyzer set to zero sweep width to obtain a time domain view. The
trace sweep was set to about 30 seconds per division. At the end of about 4
minutes, the analyzer could display the maximum and minimum signal strength.

As I said, I didn’t think about the statistics, but it was tedious. I probably
could have used several more stirring elements to shift the reverberations
faster, which would have reduced the dwell time.

Ed Price

WB6WSN

Chula Vista, CA  USA