Pat:

It might just be the name you like best depends on your experience.
Considering that most chambers depend on rotating or oscillating conductive
mechanical structures, you might think of the paddles acting like big blades
in a mixer or stirrer. A waveguide guy might be thinking more in terms of
propagation modes. I'm not very comfortable with "mode stirred", possibly
because that term was applied to microwave ovens and I don't think the
amount of "stirring" they had was enough to really change from one mode to
the next, and "partial mode stirred" is too big for a name tag. The name I
prefer is a Reverberant Chamber.

You can take advantage of the multiple reflections in a chamber (actually
enhancing the reflections through the use of the moving mechanical
structures) to achieve higher E-fields. This allows you to get higher
E-fields for a test like RS103 than you could get using traditional methods.
In effect, you can get higher fields with less money spent on an amplifier.
The down side (isn't there always a down side to slick solutions) is that
you have to spend a finite amount of time at a given frequency to allow the
reflections to have a reasonable amount of variation in order to ensure you
will get a good additive combination of room reflections). So practically,
this implies a stepped frequency sweep, with dwells at each frequency on the
order of several seconds to several minutes. And of course, there is a lower
frequency limit based on your ability to change reflections within a chamber
with the amount of moving conductive surfaces in relation to the volume of
the chamber. Practically, we hit that limit around 100 MHz or so (depending
on how much money you spend on your chamber).

It's a messy calculus; facility money, equipment money and test time.

Ed Price

WB6WSN

Chula Vista, CA  USA