Isn't the safety aspect much more important than anything else?

If you have socket outlets into which class 1 products can be plugged, then
those socket outlets must have their earth contact connected back to the
supply earth.  Not to have this fails to achieve the requisite level of
safety.

So the extension block has to be earthed, and its markings have to be clear
on that point.  Putting a class 2 symbol on the block might lead a
(admittedly rather foolish) user to fit 2 core replacement mains cable, as
that's what the symbol appears to allow.

It's not just the safety of the extension block that matters; it's the
safety of the assembly that results when the product is used as intended,
i.e. by plugging things into it.

Is there any downside in declaring the block as class 1, however convoluted
an argument one can construct to do otherwise?  Who might object to it,
certainly from an enforcement point of view?

As has already been said, if any part of a construction is Class 1, then
that over-rides the fact that other parts of it are Class 2.

John C