From: EMC Guy [mailto:emc.guy....@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:44 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] EMC requirements for developer/evaluation boards

I've been reading through all your answers and comments like through a good
book.  I still have no idea how the story will end!
To follow-up on Gert Gremmen's comments, the kind of eval board I am adressing
here is the kind with a whole bunch of connectors and test points installed
directly on the PCB surface, to monitor clock signals or to inject voltage
biases from external sources while the IC under test is being investigated.  Of
course any eval board could be placed inside an enclosure with shielded
connectors for everything, but I've never seen that.  And of course, doing so
for an item not intended to be a finished product would add a lot of design
cost that would lead to an unaffordable price for the eval boards, essentially
killing the purpose.
The purpose of my enquiry was not to find a way to go around directives and
standards to maybe put humans or licensed communications in danger, but was to
find out what was the actual regulatory framework that adresses these very
specific kits.  And from all of your generous comments, the only conclusion I
can draw today is: there is none.  No authority (in Europe at the least) has
ever published specific guidelines on the subject.  So do what you think is
right, but be prepared (with a strong enough legal department) to defend your
decisions.  Although I'm really holding on to Brian Kunde's interpretation of
apparatus and end-user as described in the Guide for the EMC Directive.
I am suprised at the lack of FCC-sided comments.  Is this because you think FCC
Form 740 option 3. "The described equipment is being imported in limited
quantities for testing and evaluation for compliance with technical
requirements or marketing suitability. The equipment will not be offered for
sale or otherwise marketed." is sufficient to go through customs with an
untested eval board?
John B.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen