On 3/3/2014 4:04 PM, John Woodgate wrote:
I once spent some time at a Southern California lab that built their own damped sinewave circuit only to have an assessor forbid its use because it couldn't be calibrated.

'Couldn't'? If so, surely banning it was justified.
A Variac-adjustable, rectifier-capacitor-charging, HV PS without a meter, driving a freestanding spark gap, vacuum variable capacitor and copper tank coil, doesn't lend itself to calibration -- and doesn't need it when the waveform depends on adjustments required before each test; only the 'scope needs calibration. Making that assessor happy cost them a lot of money, though of course the end result LOOKED a lot better.
Next;  NIST traceable connectors?

Why stop there? Do you have a 10 m measuring tape that is traceable?
As related to me, a zealous metrology department head had once gone through [a company's] desk drawers where I was on contract, taking away "uncalibrated" steel rulers. The same individual wanted me to get the paperclip antenna on my handheld receiver calibrated for the sniffing I was doing for engineering investigations. All I needed to do was narrow in on emissions.

One day I saw some young engineers there trying to do near field UHF susceptibility testing with a small loop, but they hadn't noticed that the amplifier they were used had meters reading in "VU." That equipment was calbrated!

I emptied out the cleaning supplies in their chamber and got more suitable equipment set up for that sort of testing.

Happy days.

We now return you to your discussion.

Cortland Richmond

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>