Hi Cortland,

and anyone else who gets in this position.

First, an assessor cannot stop you using anything. The role of an assessor is
eyes and ears in a lab, not a prefect.

If an assessor thinks you are doing something wrong, or not complying, then
he/she MUST write a deficiency. To do so, they must show you where you are not
complying.

Force the assessor to do this, do not trust hearsay something is wrong. The
reason I say this is because when the report goes back to the assessing body, a
different set of eyes reviews the concern. This is where you make your case and
can quite often get satisfaction if the deficiency is vague.

Second, there is nothing wrong with developing your own generator, I have done
it, and will continue to do so, many labs I visit will do too.

Assessing labs require you to demonstrate national standards traceability, and
give several options to do so. The simplest is going to an accredited cal lab
with that type of equipment on their scope. But the path is open for you to do
this yourself, IF you put the appropriate measures in place: often times this
isn't worth it, so then you fall back to going to an accredited lab.

The problem that arises is that most folks do not differentiate properly
between a quick check the equipment is functioning Vs a complete review of the
entire equipment. Both have their place.

Cheers,

Derek.