I'm certainly not a safety expert but I think that Lauren is on the right
track here.

The Harmonised Standards are really a tool to show compliance with the
standards.   But still, regardless of compliance with the standards.... if
your product is found to be non-compliant with the Directive, then it is a
non-compliant product.
The Directive says the product must be safe.   The harmonised standards are
the tools to help demonstrate that.
The basic situation here being that regardless of your safety test results,
if the device is unsafe, it's off the market.

However, if it was really that extreme, it would imply that the older
harmonised standard was found to be insufficient for demonstrating
compliance and therefore I would have thought it should have had an
immediate withdrawal from the Official Journal.

...unless the thing it failed was some new safety requirement or scenario
that had not been considered at all before.
Sometimes, completely new situations are realised and must be considered
anew, without actually being in a harmonised standard yet.
And as we know, just because it's not in a harmonised standard yet, doesn't
mean we shouldn't consider it as valid.

There are plenty of things which must be assessed by manufacturers
independently before they make it into harmonised standards.

So, maybe it was unsafe?

Michael.

Michael Derby
Regulatory Engineer