NRTL's are like doctors. Just because someone has a medical degree does not
mean they are good doctors. Same with NRTL's in my experience. Just because
they are accredited does not mean they are good test labs. There are ones that
do excellent jobs and others not so much.

When I was at TUV we went through the OSHA accreditation process and became an
NRTL, for a small scope of standards at the time, and there is only so much
they can check in a two day accreditation audit. They are also not experts in
the standards they are accrediting a lab for. In our audit they checked for
laboratory quality procedures, made sure we had the equipment to do the tests,
and had us run a few tests to make sure we could do them but the auditors did
not know the details of the standards they were auditing. Now maybe this has
changed, as my experience is from 20+ years ago, but that is how it was back
then.

Unfortunately NRTL's can impose additional requirements they feel are justified
and  I doubt OSHA hears about these issues and I am not sure they could or
would intervene in any case as IMHO the NRTL personnel generally know more
about the requirements then OSHA does.

Personally I found the CB Scheme audits to be much more thorough as back 20+
years ago when I participated in one  the auditors were Engineers who were
expert in the safety standards and did test us on our standard expertise. But
even for the CB scheme audits are not all encompassing as I have found that
NCB/CBTL expertise varies greatly depending on which lab you choose.