Folks,

The Machinery Directive MD 2006/42/EC ANNEX I states

1.4. REQUIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF GUARDS AND PROTECTIVE DEVICES
1.4.1. General requirements
Guards and protective devices must:
- be of robust construction,
- be securely held in place,
- not give rise to any additional hazard,

We normally use EN 60204-1 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of
machines - Part 1: General requirements to certify paper and mail handling
machinery to the Machinery Directive.   I don't really see anything in there
that addressed the first and third bullets above.

The OJ for MD harmonized standards lists  EN 953:1997+A1:2009 Safety of
machinery - Guards - General requirements for the design and construction of
fixed and movable guards.  I don't currently have a copy.  Does anyone know if
this standard addresses the above requirements?  Sounds like it should.  Is
there any other harmonized standard to apply to meet these requirements?

EN 60950-1 has requirements for flammability and mechanical strength of guards
well defined but EN 60950-1 itself is not in the list of harmonized standards
for the MD.  It is applicable to the Low Voltage Directive and the MD does
state that the requirements of the LVD apply.    I'm wondering if the EN 953
standard has the same requirements in the same level of detail or if they are
at least consistent.

Thanks
-Dave

David P. Nyffenegger, PMP, SM-IEEE