Dave, et al,

        Presumably you developed the need for a guard as part of your risk
assessment.

        You could do another assessment of the situation with the guard in
place and document your rationale for meeting the requirements listed in
your TF.  Robustness is a quantifiable; relating it against an EN makes it
easy.  No further hazards will fall out of your reassessment after the guard
is applied.

        The TF coverage is the key to showing acceptability of the issue.

:>)     br,     Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety Engineer
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201     fone/fax
p.perk...@ieee.org

        _ _ _ _ _

Folks,

The Machinery Directive MD 2006/42/EC ANNEX I states

1.4. REQUIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF GUARDS AND PROTECTIVE DEVICES 1.4.1.
General requirements Guards and protective devices must:
- be of robust construction,
- be securely held in place,
- not give rise to any additional hazard,

We normally use EN 60204-1 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of
machines - Part 1: General requirements to certify paper and mail handling
machinery to the Machinery Directive.   I don't really see anything in there
that addressed the first and third bullets above.

The OJ for MD harmonized standards lists  EN 953:1997+A1:2009 Safety of
machinery - Guards - General requirements for the design and construction of
fixed and movable guards.  I don't currently have a copy.  Does anyone know
if this standard addresses the above requirements?  Sounds like it should.
Is there any other harmonized standard to apply to meet these requirements?

EN 60950-1 has requirements for flammability and mechanical strength of
guards well defined but EN 60950-1 itself is not in the list of harmonized
standards for the MD.  It is applicable to the Low Voltage Directive and the
MD does state that the requirements of the LVD apply.    I'm wondering if
the EN 953 standard has the same requirements in the same level of detail or
if they are at least consistent.

Thanks
-Dave

David P. Nyffenegger, PMP, SM-IEEE