Dave,

EN 60204-1 is really only any use as a means of addressing the electrical
safety and some of the control system/interface requirements of the Machinery
Directive. You certainly can’t use it as the basis for compliance with the
requirements for guard design or any of the other EHSRs related to mechanical
hazards.

EN 953 covers the points in EHSR 1.4.1 (and more besides) although frankly
there is not a great deal in it which is not common sense for someone
experienced in machine design.

EN 953 is a CEN standard, EN 60950 is an IEC/CENELEC standard and I doubt the
people who wrote the two standards speak to each other much, if at all. EN
60950 is really not a good starting place for compliance with the Machinery
Directive (even the electrical safety aspects) - if EN 60204-1 won’t tell you
what you need to know then for machine designers the second port of call should
be EN 60335-1 (which, unlike EN 60950, is listed in the OJ under the Machinery
Directive).

IEC 60950 is probably the most globalised of all the safety standards and so it
has to be acceptable to many territories outside of Europe where there is no
local equivalent of the Machinery Directive. I don’t think you can expect to
see it listed in the OJ under the Machinery Directive any time soon.

One key message that people who come from an electrical apparatus background
need to understand when they start dealing with the Machinery Directive is that
(with the possible exception of EN ISO 12100, which contains general guidance
only)  there is no one standard they can use as the basis of compliance with
all EHSRs. Being a machinery designer means having familiarity with a range of
typically 20 or more standards and applying only the bits which are relevant to
your particular application.

Happy to discuss/debate further if you have any more questions.

Regards

Nick.

> On 20 Nov 2014, at 19:26, Nyffenegger, Dave <dave.nyffeneg...@bhemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> The Machinery Directive MD 2006/42/EC ANNEX I states
>
> 1.4. REQUIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF GUARDS AND PROTECTIVE DEVICES
> 1.4.1. General requirements
> Guards and protective devices must:
> - be of robust construction,
> - be securely held in place,
> - not give rise to any additional hazard,
>
> We normally use EN 60204-1 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of
> machines - Part 1: General requirements to certify paper and mail handling
> machinery to the Machinery Directive.   I don't really see anything in there
> that addressed the first and third bullets above.
>
> The OJ for MD harmonized standards lists  EN 953:1997+A1:2009 Safety of
> machinery - Guards - General requirements for the design and construction of
> fixed and movable guards.  I don't currently have a copy.  Does anyone know
> if this standard addresses the above requirements?  Sounds like it should.
> Is there any other harmonized standard to apply to meet these requirements?
>
> EN 60950-1 has requirements for flammability and mechanical strength of
> guards well defined but EN 60950-1 itself is not in the list of harmonized
> standards for the MD.  It is applicable to the Low Voltage Directive and the
> MD does state that the requirements of the LVD apply.    I'm wondering if the
> EN 953 standard has the same requirements in the same level of detail or if
> they are at least consistent.
>
> Thanks
> -Dave
>
> David P. Nyffenegger, PMP, SM-IEEE
> Product Development Manager

Nick Williams
Director
Direct line: +44 1298 873811
Mobile: +44 7702 995135
email: nick.willi...@conformance.co.uk

-----

Conformance Ltd - Product safety, approvals and CE-marking consultants
The Old Methodist Chapel, Great Hucklow, Buxton, SK17 8RG England
Tel. +44 1298 873800, Fax. +44 1298 873801, www.conformance.co.uk
Registered in England, Company No. 3478646