From: Scott Aldous [mailto:00000220f70c299a-dmarc-requ...@ieee.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:43 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Arc Flash Requirements NFPA 79

FYI - Regarding the SCCR, it's really not about the interrupt rating of
overcurrent protection devices. It relates to the ability of the equipment to
withstand the fault currents that overcurrent devices would let through in a
short circuit event. Looking through the supplement in UL 508A is instructive.
If you try to evaluate through the "weakest link" method rather than testing,
values are assigned to components commonly found in switchgear, including bus
bars. If you have overcurrent protection that is current lmiting, it helps
reduce the required withstand rating of components downstream, but this is
dependent on the extent of current limiting rather than interrupt rating.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Ted Eckert