I agree with John T.  The world's companies are a mixed bag of safety cultures.
 I've had the opportunity to work with some great companies in which safety is
priority, always taking the high road.  In these companies the culture started
at the top.  Even had the CEO for one of them often sit in our safety meetings.
 Of course these companies are all about brand name protection, but regardless,
safety is a priority.  Unfortunately I've also seen the polar opposite.  Just
had the "Chief Technical Officer" of a client hand me an interconnecting cord
for under cabinet lighting with male terminals on both ends.  When I rolled my
eyes at him, he asked what the problem was.  Even after I asked him to hold one
end while I plug in the other, he asked if there were any NRTL's that would
accept it.

We have a tough job as compliance engineers if the client, or boss, does not
make safety a priority.  Often it's like talking to the wall.  But we keep
doing our part so we can sleep at night.

I know ANSI and others have a group reaching out to CEO's to try to get safety
built into company cultures.  And showing them why it makes financial sense to
do so.  Joe Bhatia from ANSI spoke at a past ISPCE symposium about it.  If your
company  does not have safety as a priority, maybe reach out to Mr. Bhatia and
have him send your boss some information.

The 2015 ISPCE also has a new track called Compliance 101.  The idea is to help
designers and "newbies" to compliance understand the general requirements so
they can build safety into the design, as they're designing. Some of the
presentations can be a great way to show your boss the basics, even if it falls
on deaf ears.

And maybe with these activities, along with HBSE and Risk Assessments being
incorporated into our Standards, there will be a day when safety takes priority
for everyone.

On Mar 7, 2015, at 3:56 PM, John Allen