I am not familiar with such devices sold in the UK, or outside of North America
for that matter. However, I can speak to what is available in North America.

Line voltage outlets with integral USB charging ports are not that uncommon in
the United States. A number of major outlet manufacturers make versions.

Example
1<http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=T5632-GY&section=63676&minisite=10251>

Example 2<http://ecatalog.hubbell-wiring.com/press/pdfs/WLFSB002A.pdf>

Example 3<http://www.newertech.com/products/power2u.php>

All three are UL Listed under UL
498<http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=0498.html> and UL
1310<http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=1310.html>. As such,
they would have to pass a reasonable electric strength test. The first two
claim FCC Part 15 Class B compliance. The would appear to cover the safety and
certification issues for the United States. It appears that these outlets also
have the necessary safety approvals for Canada and Mexico.

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has efficiency requirements for external
power supplies, but I don't know exactly how this type of product would be
classified. The manufacturers may  believe it is out of scope of the DOE rules
or they may just not place the information in their specification sheet. In my
opinion, the USB chargers would likely be classified as external power supplies
making them subject to the DOE rules. As such, starting in February 2016, they
would need to meet requirements equivalent to International Efficiency Level VI.

The third example above is what showed up on an Amazon search for me. I didn't
see any wall outlets of questionable origin for my quick search. I'm sure that
they are out there in the United States. However, the availability of integral
USB/NEMA 5-15 outlets from reputable vendors may reduce the number of low-cost
vendors who are willing to enter the US market.

I'm also not sure how to interpret "Look out for an explosion of these items".
Is this a comment on their sales potential or safety? ;-)

Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com<mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com>

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.