It would seem that you need a piece of test gear with a floating output that can have either end referenced.   Not sure I have seen anything like this.

Best, Doug.

From: Greg McClure
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:30 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Reply To: Greg McClure
Subject: Re: [PSES] Dual polarity DC electric strength test

Doug, John,

We have discussed these options with our test equipment group and could build the test fixtures as suggested. However, we hesitate to use a reversing scheme with a switch or high voltage relay in manufacturing because it would require making the chassis of the product hot for one polarity and our practice has always been to keep the chassis/frame at ground potential to make it safer for the operator. We could build a cage that prevents access to any part of the EUT but that would require a major change to the design of the hi-pot station.

Gregory H. McClure
Lexmark Product Safety
859 232 3240 office
859 232 6882 fax