Our company's Service Department provides monthly field repair reports to our
R&D department who looks for patterns and high fallout of components. Over the
last 6 to 12 months, we have noticed a high fallout of Power Supplies in the
United States. However, we have not been able to find the reason for the
fallout. The power supplies have all shown arc damage to the AC front end,
signs of arcing and traces burned or vaporized, blown fuses, and shorted FETs
and/or Rectifiers. These failures have occurred on several different locations,
on different power supply models, different manufactures and on different
instruments. Some instruments have been in service for years; some for only a
few weeks before they fail. Some instruments even have surge suppression
modules installed and though the power supplies fail the surge modules tested
out fine. The failures did not occur during any known lightning storm or any
other known transient. Very strange.

Of those of you who read these emails, have you experienced an unusual increase
in such field failures in the last year?

Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this increase?

We test our products and power supplies to the IEC 61000-4-4 and 4-5 fast
transient and surge immunity tests. We actually test beyond what is required
for CE in Europe (often to the limit of our test equipment which is 5kV) and we
audit every family of products about once a year. We have performed additional
testing of production power supplies of known models that have failed in the
field yet no unusual problems have been found.  We also perform radiated and
conducted RF immunity tests, ESD, voltage dips and dropouts, frequency
variation testing, and harmonic and inter-harmonic immunity tests with no
discernable problems found.

We have AC Line Analyzers running for months at several customer locations and
have not detected any unusual transients or reason for the high fallout of
power supplies.

Two weeks ago we had a power supply blow in one of our own labs on an
instrument that had been running for several years. Two R&D engineers were sent
over to investigate. They changed out the power supply and verified the
instrument was running properly. As they turned to walk out of the room, POW!!,
the power supply in the instrument next to the one they just fixed blew up. A
power line analyzer has been running ever since but not unusual transients have
been detected, yet.

Are we missing something? Is there additional transient tests that we are not
performing that we should be?  Is there something we should be looking for and
are not? Has this last year been unusually bad for power grid problems, sun
spots, alien transmissions, ??

We are stumped. Thanks for any advice and comments.

The Other Brian

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.