Hi Brian,

Pat offers some great advice with respect to filter stability and resulting
ringing. This is not something normally tested using a transient generator, so
should be examined.

I’d also like to add an observation. During the time I worked for HP/Agilent in
their scopes division, we also started noticing in the late-1990s that power
supplies had become the #1 field failure. We pretty much determined (maybe more
of a guess at that point) that due to the variety of failures across different
products and vendors, that it was most likely a reliability issue, rather than
due strictly to over stress. In fact, in the mid-1970s, the NAVY had come to
the same conclusion and had instituted similar reliability research on power
supplies.

Our environmental test engineer, Brian Dahl (the “other other Brian”), who was
also an expert (a black belt) in reliability, instituted two major changes in
our power supply vendor selection process:

1. HALT testing of all power supplies (as well as whole products)

2. Life Testing of all power supplies

For those unfamiliar, HALT (highly accelerated life testing) is a combination
of very fast changing temperature extremes (high to low and visa versa in 1-2
minutes) in combination with three-axis vibration. He would run HALT on samples
of power supplies prior to our selecting a final vendor.

Those supplies that passed the HALT were then subjected to long term life
testing in a large walk-in temperature chamber. He’d take a sample of 10 to 20
power supplies from each potential vendor, place them under full resistive
loads and cycle the temperature every 5 to 10 minutes for 1 to 2 months.

After starting this program, field failures of power supplies dropped almost
off the list.

Here are some references that might be helpful:

http://www.cui.com/catalog/resource/reliability-considerations
<http://www.cui.com/catalog/resource/reliability-considerations>

http://www.astrodynetdi.com/pdf/MTBF_and_Power_Supply_Reliability.pdf
<http://www.astrodynetdi.com/pdf/MTBF_and_Power_Supply_Reliability.pdf>

http://www.sre.org/pubs/Mil-Hdbk-338B.pdf
<http://www.sre.org/pubs/Mil-Hdbk-338B.pdf>

http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/MIL-STD/MIL-HDBK-217F-Notice2.pdf
<http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/MIL-STD/MIL-HDBK-217F-Notice2.pdf>

I might add that Brian was a nominee for EDN's “Test Engineer of the Year” back
then. If anyone would like to pick his brain, he may be reached at
brian_d...@keysight.com <mailto:brian_d...@keysight.com>. I’m copying him on
this email.

Cheers, Ken

_______________________

I'm here to help you succeed! Feel free to call or email with any questions
related to EMC or EMI troubleshooting - at no obligation. I'm always happy to
help!

Kenneth Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC
56 Aspen Dr.