Re Richard Nute's "All of the products I have seen have two Y capacitors,
one from L to E, and one from N to E. "

Sorry for the delay in the following comment: I've been on Holiday with no
email.

I have now checked the 13 mains-powered devices for which I have definite
knowledge of their Y cap. disposition.  They are all commercially-produced
products that are commonplace in domestic or office locations worldwide.

Of the 13,  4 have only a SINGLE Class Y capacitor.   4/13 is 30%

I think that this represents a trend, since now SMPS are so nearly universal
and these give the opportunity - some might say the necessity - to be quite
subtle in the circuit design around the Y capacitor(s).

Richard

Richard Marshall Laboratories,

30 Ox Lane, Harpenden, Herts.,    AL5 4HE, UK

+44 (0)1582 460815      <http://www.design-emc.co.uk> www.design-emc.co.uk

Member of the EMC Industry Association