From: Mike Sherman ----- Original Message ----- [mailto:msherma...@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:45 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] SV: [PSES] EU's new approach directive transitions

Regarding "avoidabiility":
1. I used it typically for mechanical/kinetic hazards, such as being hit by a
robot, where human reflex times were relevant. I did not use it for most other
risk assessments (e.g., shock, explosion).
2. I gave it a scale of 0 to 1, then subtracted it from 1: risk formula then
was S*L*(1-A). This keeps the highest score corresponding to the highest risk.
This approach was easily understood by those on the risk assessment team.

Mike Sherman
Graco Inc.