Rich

Thanks for the info – which I had not realised before.

However, even if I had known, I don’t think it would have helped much in that
particular situation which involved a wide range of board designs and layouts
produced in very small quantities of each – so we could not have tested every
one even if we had had the right test facilities, which we did not.

In the end, the “solution” was a different sort of pragmatic approach because
the boards were always enclosed in hermetically sealed high pressure (10,000
psi+) / temperature (180C+) -resistant stainless steel tubes which have very
little free air volume inside them.

That means that there is very little free oxygen for component fires to use,
and calculations proved that ignitions involving all the flammable material
within the enclosures would exhaust that oxygen well before fires could
develop, and also the way the enclosures are built and sealed means that flames
or flammable material could not escape unless there had first also been very
substantial external physical damage.

PS: the problem with the V-1 boards was that the flame-retardants apparently
break down over time at the high operating temperature in which the enclosures
operate (down oil and gas drill holes), and the by-products then aggressively
attack the components on the boards and cause them to fail.

John  E Allen

W.London, UK