" Safety standards are not tested to see if they accomplish the objective"

I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, other than gathering data from
customer returns and from product recalls.  It may not be only a problem with
standards, but also with how the standards are applied (training at NRTLs), and
what follow-up service really provides.  For example, if some fires are caused
by internal arcing,  then does follow-up service inspect spacings in detail
during a factory visit?  NO.  Do routine dielectric tests catch in-circuit
spacing issues.  Again, I think the answer is NO.   There will always exist
unit-to-unit variation and if spacings are right at the minimum and tolerance
stack is not carefully accounted for in the design, you probably cannot assume
NRTL test & inspection will catch it.  To assume a prototype or two accurately
represents a field population of say 10,000 units is an act of faith, and
hoping that the odds are with you.

Ralph McDiarmid
Product Compliance
Engineering
Solar Business
Schneider Electric

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail