From: Kunde, Brian [mailto:brian_ku...@lecotc.com]
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2016 7:39 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Using 60hz motors in 50hz countries

Dear experts,

Can AC brushless motors (in this case 230V~ 3-phase 3hp motors) that are rated
"60HZ" be used in products going to countries that have 50HZ power?  I believe
the motors will run a little slower which will not affect the function of the
product, but is there a safety issue with this?  The motors are thermally,
overload, and short circuit protected.  They are "intermittent use" and not
likely to overheat.

As a rule, we only market and sell such products to countries with 60hz power.
However, a North America company might purchase one and ship it to one of their
international locations with 50hz power without our knowledge. Do we need to be
concerned about this?

Of course, this fact has our sales force wondering if it is OK to market and
sell 60hz motor driven products in countries with 50hz.  I really don't know. I
cannot see a safety issue but one can say that the motor would be used in a way
it is not intended to be used resulting in a higher risk if something did
happening.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks,
The Other Brian

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html