From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: 29 September 2016 22:28
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] [RFI] Part 15 isn't enough..

Saying that Part 15 limits are not low enough has nothing to do with the
imposition of immunity requirements. Regardless of how high or low Part 15
limits might be, it has no impact on any suggested or imposed
susceptibility/immunity limits. Part 15 limits protect radio receivers, the
immunity requirements protect non-antenna connected equipment from
intentional transmissions (meaning 61000-4-3 and 61000–4-6, not the various
transient non-frequency domain requirements).

Ghery Pettit made the salient point: the Part 15 limits provide a degree of
protection such that if interference occurs, it is between two equipments
operated in the same area, under the same ownership, and therefore the
problem is controllable without causing problems between different entities,
one of which owns the culprit, and the other of which owns the victim. The
limits are not there to protect a culprit/victim pair jammed up
side-by-side. If that’s what you want, you are looking at MIL-STD-461, as
someone else pointed out.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

  _____