I had similar problems with customers as well, especially when the company I
worked for was doing sub-contract Safety Case work for a supplier of armoured
tractors for the UK MoD!

Neither our customer "wanted to know" when I raised some safety-related
"issues" about issues about the tractors and what they were going to be used
for in Kandahar province during the time the Royal Engineers were working there
to support UK ground forces in the fight against the Taliban, such as the
following question: “These vehicles will be used at night with night vision
goggles (NVG), and so have the users been trained in using them at night with
such goggles?”
(if you thought even slightly "hard" about the subject you could foresee a lot
of very realistic hazardous situations!)

The initial, and for a long time, response was simply that the troops had been
trained to use NVG (“and that was good enough”) – but, as the Safety Case
Engineer on the project, I could not “let go” of the issue until I considered
that it was well on the way to being dealt with.

It took about a year, but, finally, “someone” in the Army decided that they
would have to do night-time trials with those vehicles using NVG, and I think
that they were then “rather surprised” to find out that there were a  lot of
unforeseen and hazardous issues with trying to use them under the typical
operating conditions – so much so that they mandated that similar trials should
be performed on any vehicle type to be used with NVG.

There were also a number of other, sometimes less potentially serious, hazard
issues with those projects that I did not “let go of” until I considered they
were well on the way to being solved, and, generally, they were.

You could say that I had been “vindicated”, but all the above cut little ice
with the MoD project team or our direct sub-contract customer, and the latter
then stated emphatically that they did not want me working on any future safety
case project for them! That, of course, made me “less than popular” with my own
company’s management, and resulted in my being given little or no new
“chargeable” work for most of the rest of the time I worked for them, which, in
turn, made my situation there far more stressful L.

“Ethics” versus “personal survival”???

John E Allen

W. London, UK