Richard,

I have tried a number of approaches in the past.  Given that most products
are quite complex with regard to all the potential heat sources/sinks and
interfaces I decided that anything along the lines of FEA is impractical.

I also tried the time constants idea which is analogous to RC time
constants.  I found this works well enough if you have a good amount of
history with the product itself.  Otherwise, due to the non-linear nature
of the problem, it is difficult to predict end time or temperature until 3
to 4 time constants have already passed.

I tried using the slope of ΔT to estimate when the end of the test is
pending.

The next attempt was to dig in a little following the equations V = Voe
-(t/RC) and V = Vo[1-e-(t/RC)] where I substitute V for the the various
temperatures (Vo = the absolute value of the temperature delta from start
to end), C is analogous to product mass and R is the Rtheta of the product.
With a little testing history, you can assume the composition of the
product is similar for other products designed by the same company (copper,
steel, plastics, air, liquids, etc), I solved for RC and then rearranged
the algebra to solve for t which is time.  There are a couple of problems
in that I am still unable to come up with a general purpose solution.
First this is a simultaneous solution of several unknowns which is not
conducive to quick on the fly solutions.  This is especially true when you
are in the early stages of a temperature run when things are still moving
quickly.  As you know extrapolating outside an existing dataset is risky,
especially when nonlinearities are involved.

I am now going back to basics.  Q = Cp * m * abs(T2-T1)

q = heat energy in Joules
m = mass of the product
Cp = specific heat of the product
T1 = The initial temperature of the product at the start
T2 = The final temperature of the product

abs() is used to correct for heating or cooling

With the start/final temperatures and mass taken from prior tests I can
extract a Cp for a particular product. Understanding one watt is
Joules/second you can factor into the equation time.    My thought is that
the composition of a product from the same engineering group with have
similar ratios of copper, iron, plastics, etc.  And then I may be able to
solve for total test time or final temperature.  Not forgetting that the
air mass and equipment of the environmental chamber is part of the big
picture.

I have not fully tested this method yet, but so far I remain hopeful.  If
this works, I plan to build a small database of product Cp values.  I would
be interested to know if anyone else gives this a go and how as yet
undiscovered problems are overcome.

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA