Hi Brian:

It’s is so funny to me how our company seems to spend more time on the simple
issues. And we are not even talking about the Current rating, the 80% rule on
pluggable equipment, how some inspectors want to see an “Average Current” or
“Max. Continuous Current” rating on the instrument, or where some standards
allow you to include an additional current rating in “brackets” that represent
current levels higher than 10% of the rated current that occurs within the
first minute of operation.  Crazy man.

This is a topic which everyone “understands,” whereas the other safety topics
belong to the regulatory person.  Everyone is an expert on ratings: how to
“clearly” and “completely” (in their opinion) express the ratings.  And,
everyone (even the standards committees) have their opinion of what the
customer needs to know (yet the customer just plugs it in and doesn’t pay any
attention to the rating markings or the details in the manual).  For the most
part, the ratings and their expression are for the certification house or the
inspector.  You can’t satisfy them all.  Assert your authority as the
regulatory person.

Best regards,

Cynical Rich

ps:  I wanted to know if my new phone direct plug-in charger would work on 230
volts; it does.  Small, grey printing on the white body was hard to see.
120-volt plug; would require an adapter.  House symbol without the arrow
pointing in or out.  What does the letter V in a circle mean?