I spent a number of years working at a firm that made digital loop carrier equipment for the telephone companies, and would occasionally be called to go out to the field and find out why earlier equipment was being interfered with.

In Nutley, New Jersey, there is or was a local a.m. station with a short, top loaded vertical, and when I went out there I was able to confirm that yes, its audio was definitely getting into subscriber equipment.

It's not that it was our digital loop boxes doing this – but it seems that the complaints began when the NJ baby-Bell installed it. A little poking around revealed that the field strength from the broadcaster was quite in excess of the GR1089 requirements we had to meet.

And that interference had preexisted the installation of our equipment on the poles.  What changed?

The radio station was sold and no longer concentrated on "easy listening" music; NOW it was nonstop Korean language evangelical services – and THAT was when the complaints started. No more free music…

Cortland Richmond