Ken:

I had some experience with using multiple EESeal connector EMI filters on a
complicated Navy data telemetry system. One interesting thing about using these
EESeals was that they made contact to each pin within a connector by having one
or two tiny, thin gold leaf tabs extend from the EESeal silicon rubber
"sandwich." When all the connector pins were in perfect alignment, and the
EESeal was installed perfectly into a connector shell, the connector pins would
firmly press those little gold leaf contacts against the EESeal's hole ID. This
made a good, low-impedance connection between the connector pin and the
EESeal's capacitor chips. IIRC, the EESeal body also had several little gold
leaf tabs on its OD, in order to make a ground connection to the connector
shell.

I mention this in some detail because I found that when the connector pin
alignment wasn't perfect, or the EESeal wasn't inserted nice and flat, it was
possible to stress the little gold tabs. If you got an EESeal in place and then
removed it (using Quell's approved method), you might (due to cost) be tempted
to reinstall it later. I found that a microscopic examination of the EESeals
sometimes disclosed missing gold tabs, or sometimes they had been "balled up"
against the hole ID wall. My point is that these are fragile components, and
there is a possibility of misaligned gold tabs or even broken tabs being
trapped between the connector insulation face and the EESeal silcon rubber
body. This certainly frightens me from a reliability standpoint, as you can't
see this from any visual examination of an installed EESeal.

The installation of EESeals (the tiny ones were more troublesome than the big,
multi-pin ones) must be done by tech's who understand the weaknesses of these
marvelous gadgets, and who are willing to reject an assembly rather than "make
it fit." And from an engineering viewpoint, your quality assuarance should
cover the possibility of degradation arising from installing this type of
device.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA