Phone: (256) 650-5261

From: Edward Price <e...@jwjelp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 20:31:13 +0000
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Conversation: [PSES] X & Y Cap rating due to hipot test
Subject: Re: [PSES] X & Y Cap rating due to hipot test

Ken:

I had some experience with using multiple EESeal connector EMI filters on a
complicated Navy data telemetry system. One interesting thing about using
these EESeals was that they made contact to each pin within a connector by
having one or two tiny, thin gold leaf tabs extend from the EESeal silicon
rubber ³sandwich.² When all the connector pins were in perfect alignment,
and the EESeal was installed perfectly into a connector shell, the connector
pins would firmly press those little gold leaf contacts against the EESeal¹s
hole ID. This made a good, low-impedance connection between the connector
pin and the EESeal¹s capacitor chips. IIRC, the EESeal body also had several
little gold leaf tabs on its OD, in order to make a ground connection to the
connector shell.

I mention this in some detail because I found that when the connector pin
alignment wasn¹t perfect, or the EESeal wasn¹t inserted nice and flat, it
was possible to stress the little gold tabs. If you got an EESeal in place
and then removed it (using Quell¹s approved method), you might (due to cost)
be tempted to reinstall it later. I found that a microscopic examination of
the EESeals sometimes disclosed missing gold tabs, or sometimes they had
been ³balled up² against the hole ID wall. My point is that these are
fragile components, and there is a possibility of misaligned gold tabs or
even broken tabs being trapped between the connector insulation face and the
EESeal silcon rubber body. This certainly frightens me from a reliability
standpoint, as you can¹t see this from any visual examination of an
installed EESeal.

The installation of EESeals (the tiny ones were more troublesome than the
big, multi-pin ones) must be done by tech¹s who understand the weaknesses of
these marvelous gadgets, and who are willing to reject an assembly rather
than ³make it fit.² And from an engineering viewpoint, your quality
assuarance should cover the possibility of degradation arising from
installing this type of device.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA