Hi Rich:

Thanks for the feedback.  Right now it appears that my Option 3 would be the
simplest approach because it does not require double insulation anywhere.  I
don't presently have a working sample of the product, but I plan to perform
the "protective impedance" tests after I obtain a working sample.  As I
noted earlier, just from an inspection of the circuit diagram and knowledge
of the load that the 60V circuit is driving, I think it has a 50/50 chance
of meeting the requirements for protective impedance.

If the outcome is that the circuit does not meet the protective impedance
requirements and double insulation has to be provided, I have a question
about your statement that that it is okay for the 60 V circuit to share a
common return with the USB circuit.

Somewhere (possibly in relation to using 60950-1), I recall that ports for
connection to SELV circuits were treated as being accessible even if the
connector could not be reached by the accessibility probe.  This suggests
that the USB connector would be treated as an accessible part, even if it is
recessed and guarded to make it inaccessible to the probe.

If such reasoning applies for 60335-1, it would appear that double
insulation must be provided between the 60V circuit and USB connector.  I
suspect that a fault analysis could show that at least two faults would be
required to place the 60V output on the USB port, but "double insulation" is
"double insulation," and creepage/clearance requirements would seem to apply
between the 60V circuit and the USB port.

Is there a compliance path through the standard that would not require
double insulation between the 60V circuit and the USB port?  So far I have
not found such a path.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.