Don't you say below that one end of the 60 V is connected to the cold end of the low-voltage and the shell of the USB, i.e. 'circuit ground'? If so, only the other end of the 60 V needs double insulation, which can be functional insulation plus an air-gap. You may indeed have a problem if the 'hot' end of the 60 V supply is very close to low-voltage conductors on the PC board. Then clearance and creepage become issues, but in a battery operated product, the pollution degree may well be very low.

Multiple faults are considered so improbable that they can be disregarded. I think you are being ultra-cautious. Even a low-impedance 60 V supply is barely hazardous to finger touch, irrespective of what a very stringent interpretation of the standard might indicate.

On 2020-01-15 20:30, Joe Randolph wrote:

Sorry for being slow to understand this, but I can’t quite see the rationale for exempting the USB port from having double insulation between the USB port and the 60V circuit.

For discussion purposes, imagine a single circuit board with the following characteristics:

1)The board contains a SELV circuit and a SELV-to-60V voltage step-up converter.  Both the SELV circuit and the step-up converter share the same return path (loosely called “circuit ground” but not necessarily grounded).

2)Aside from functional insulation, there is no isolation whatsoever between the components of the SELV circuit and the 60V circuit.

3)The SELV circuit has an accessible USB connector

While it might take multiple faults to make it happen, one could imagine a scenario where the 60V output gets shorted to one of the USB data pins.  Now we have 60V present between two pins on the USB connector.

One could argue that a fault analysis might show that at least two independent faults would be required to make the 60V appear on the USB connector, thereby providing two safeguards.

However, Class 2 construction does not allow the manufacturer to rely on just a fault analysis.  Class 2 specifically states that “double insulation” be provided to prevent electric shock.  At present, I do not see a way around this if the 60V circuit is indeed classified as hazardous.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.

781-721-2848 (USA)