From: Joe Randolph
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Sent: October 30, 2020 at 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [PSES] NFPA Codes, law or not?

Yes, apparently, the authority to impose an electrical code rests with the
individual states (and sometimes individual jurisdictions with a given state).
I’m not sure why, but there is probably some constitutional reason why this is
controlled by the individual states rather than the Federal government.

I did not mention this in my earlier attempt at providing a “simple answer,”
but I believe certain states, such as California, have their own electrical
code and do not simply call out NFPA 70. And, I think certain cities have their
own codes. So, the individual states are not acting in unison.

Scott points out another problem with the current situation of having local
authority over the electrical code. Namely, that different jurisdictions use
different editions of NFPA 70 as their local electric code. Updated editions of
NFPA 70 are issued every three years.

I work a lot with communication equipment that is covered by Chapter 8 of NFPA
70. Over last several years some significant changes have been made in Chapter
8, mostly in terms of revising outdated requirements to better address new
communications technology. Significant changes were made in the 2017 edition,
and again in the 2020 edition.

Unfortunately, some jurisdictions are still using older versions, as early as
the 2008 edition. Typically, the adoption of a specific edition requires a vote
of the State Legislature, and they sometimes fail to update their laws when a
new edition comes out.

This makes it challenging to take advantage of the clarifications/improvements
that have been incorporated into newer editions of NFPA 70.

Fortunately, most electrical inspectors are open to considering the latest
edition of NFPA 70, even if their local law refers to an earlier edition.
However, they are not obligated to do so.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.

781-721-2848 (USA)