Interesting topic!

Completely agree with Brent!.

I would only add the "quality" of the signal can also contribute to the
variation - by that I mean if there
 is any kind of modulation on the signal then that will contribute to the
measurement difficulties.
 It is also not unusual for a lab to sit on a signal if the signal has a
noted time variance
(this is from experience).

--

Charles Grasso