From: John Woodgate <j...@woodjohn.uk>
To: Brian Gregory <brian_greg...@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: [PSES] Immunity test field strength, residential setting
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:05:59 +0100

61000-4-3 is a Basic Standard. It does not specify test levels but indicates
possible test levels. You need to look in detail at Clause 5, but look at these
words:
 Product committees shall select the appropriate test level for each frequency
range needing to be tested as well as the frequency ranges.
The residential environment is usually designated Class 2 (see Annex E of the
standard), which calls for 3 V/m.
 Best wishes John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
 www.woodjohn.uk
 Rayleigh, Essex UK

 I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand. Xunzi
(340 - 245 BC)On 2023-07-21 17:44, Brian Gregory wrote: Hello colleagues,  We
are building EV Chargers for residential markets (not just US) and one of the
safety applicable standards is UL 2231-2.  It calls out  IEC 61000-4-3 for
immunity testing parameters, which states a requirement for a field strength of
20V/m.  Our EMC expert says typically testing is "done at 3 Vrms, which is
standard for most products in residential environments."   He can only test up
to 10V, and we're hearing the same from an overseas lab to whom our
manufacturer refers.   Does FCC Part B have guidelines for field strength we
can cite?   Can some offer this "DC guy" (aka, 60 Hz) a quick definition of
what the 20V/m represents? I'm guessing 20 V/m is for higher density commercial
applications, aka charging stations, so we probably need an exception for
residential.   Thank you! Colorado Brian
 720-450-4933This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society
emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to
<emc-p...@ieee.org> All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the
web at:
 https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/