-------- Original message --------From: Douglas Powell <doug...@gmail.com>
Date: 1/29/24  7:05 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG Subject: Re:
[PSES] Reduce Speed of Moving Part to Reduce Risk All valid points; however, I
was taking my information from the established ISO/IEC standards for machinery,
with which I am familiar. I do recall another standrd some years ago,
mentioning contact surface area when I was looking into finger crush as well as
sharp edges. And the original question was solely about speed, so that's how I
responded.All the best,  ~ DougDouglas E PowellLaporte, Colorado,
USAdougp01@gmail.comLinkedIn(UTC-06:00, US-MDT)On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 4:41 PM
Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org> wrote: Hi Doug and Brian: I thought I would offer
my (radical) point of view on the issue of “speed of moving parts.” Consider
moving aluminum foil and moving aluminum block, both at the same speed.  The
aluminum foil has very little mass, while the aluminum block has relatively
high mass.  The foil is not likely to cause injury, while the block may cause
injury.   Consider an aluminum needle and an aluminum block, both having the
same speed and mass.  The needle is likely to cause injury, while the block is
not likely to cause injury. Consider the time of contact with a moving part.
If the time is long, then injury is not likely.  If the time is short, then
injury is likely. So, in addition to speed, we must consider mass of the block,
contact area, and duration of the contact in predicting injury.   In other
words, energy per area (mv2 per area in this case) whether mechanical, thermal,
radiant, chemical, or electrical, transferred to a body part for a (usually
short) period of time, causes injury.  The same energy magnitude transferred
over a long period of time is not likely to cause injury.  An injury occurs
only when energy per contact area of sufficient magnitude and duration is
imparted to a body part.  Both the safety science article and the IRSST paper
discuss energy of moving parts and area, but do not address the other
parameters.  Both introduce (to me) the concept of “force” on various body
parts.  I’m not sure of how this fits into this safety discussion.
Consideration of speed alone is over-simplification. Best regards,Rich  From:
Doug Nix <d...@ieee.org> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2024 11:16 AMTo:
emc-p...@listserv.ieee.ORGSubject: Re: [PSES] Reduce Speed of Moving Part to
Reduce Risk Hi Brian, In the machinery sector, 250 mm/s has long been used as
the threshold for avoidability. This figure comes from the robot standards and
has been used for about 30 years. Studies done at the Polytechnique de Montréal
[1] and IRSST [2] have shown that a speed closer to 140 mm/s is more
universally avoidable by people working in various environments, but the long
use of 250 mm/s has entrenched that higher speed. Related to that is the
IRSST’s Repoer R-956. I’ve attached copies of these documents for you. You can
find the 250 mm/s number quoted in most machinery safety standards where
reduced speed is considered for risk reduction. The origin is in ANSI/RIA
R15.06 1992, which made its way into CSA Z434 and then eventually to ISO 10218.
[1]          Y. Chinniah, B. Aucourt, and R. Bourbonnière, “Study of Machine
Safety for Reduced-Speed or Reduced-Force Work R-956,” IRRST - Institut de
recherche Robert-Sauvé en santé et en sécurité du travail, Montreal, 2017. [2]
        Y. Chinniah, B. Aucourt, and R. Bourbonnière, “Safety of industrial
machinery in reduced risk conditions,” Safety Science, vol. 93, pp. 152–161,
Mar. 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.ssci.2016.12.002.  Best regards, Doug
nixd...@ieee.org+1 (519) 729-5704

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/